Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Universal Mystery Solved (maybe)

So I think I may have just solved a mystery (or a problem) that's been bothering me my whole adult life... Now, this may have been just a fluke, a one time deal, and may never happen for me again. I will let you know upon further investigation.... So what is the big problemo-mystery-thing you ask?

Red sauce staining tupperware. Yeah, I know - one of our world's major dilemmas right? Well... so maybe it's not such a big deal, but it sure does piss me off when I wash dishes and that translucent orange haze remains on plastic containers that have held anything resembling a red sauce... Wash again - still there... wash again - still there.... You know it's clean because you've washed it three times so you just give up and either put it with the clean dishes or throw it away! I usually wait until they're dry and then wipe them out with a paper towel then wash again, which improves the stain but does not vanish it. But today ladies and gentlemen, I figured it out!

As I was washing I realized that as my fingers went over areas on the orange plastic the stain came off....! It was a direct skin to plastic connection that did it! So I put a little hot water in the bowl, a drop or two of dish soap and rubbed it with my hands (as opposed to the sponge). It is now crystal clear! Yes - clean and clear!

I hate touching old food and whatnot with my hands but for a clear plastic container I will do so every time from now on... well, after washing it out a time or two with the sponge... So I have not solved the Economic Crises or World Hunger but it is a small step in domestic upkeep. I just thought I'd share my new found knowledge with the blogging world....

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your discovery. Indeed, it is a small step toward domestic sanity. I'm going to try it right now!

lucylucia said...

Janae- I think you can claim victory on this. I HATE the red sauce stains. I will totally try this next time I am cleaning the plastic tupperware! awesome!