Saturday, April 17, 2010

Outdoor Progress

I've been very busy (ok, we've been very busy) in the back yard... Spring has been rather productive. It's amazing how much more you can get done when both your kids can walk by themselves and actually want to go play without you. Granted, a large box full of dirt helps this out quite a bit. Go Dirt Box!

So far this spring I have planted about 50 or so bulbs in the back yard, gladiolas and lilies. The gladiolas, which should get around 4 feet tall are along my chain link fence. They are going to be red/orange/yellow colored, named firecrackers. Hopefully they will make a good screen for the chain link.
I have dug up my remaining three hosta from the front flower bed and replanted them in the back, leaving two as they were and splitting the third into 5 plants. My original five hosta have now become a whopping 15 plants.
We have our landscape wall that was made from my blood, sweat and tears (Kirk calls it the Great Wall of Overland). This year I opened up two spaces in it on either side of the yard to act as entry ways into the back, shady area. I also created a rock bed around all my hosta that line the wall. And Kirk dug out our last remaining stump from the yard. The kids now play in the shady area under the honeysuckle tree. I have moved their little table back there and we hung some garden gnome/elf guys from the branches. Nola calls it their house, or her jungle.
On the paver patio that I made last year I have now put up the back 'wall' from halves of pavers and made a bed behind them. I lined one of the chain link fence sides also with firecracker gladiolas.
We were about to go buy some lattice to make an arbor for my future green beans. My neighbors were outside chatting it up with us and mentioned that they had an old arbor that they were going to throw out - did we want it? Ummmm YES! A real, metal arbor opposed to some crap-job creation I would have made on my own out of lattice? Again, YES! So now we have an arbor, and it looks great. It even had gates on it. We still need to make a platform to secure it into the ground, but I'm working on that.
I guess that's about it. There's more, but I'm coming up blank. I will try and take some pictures in the next few days and post my little projects.
Oh! I almost forgot! The vegetable garden is almost ready to be planted! Ground turned over and new compost put in... just need to level it out and put in the little seedlings.... Summer veggies, here we come!

No comments: