Tuesday, June 8, 2010

BLT Pasta Recipe

I found a recipe for a BLT pasta in a freeby magazine from the mail. I don't like to follow recipes... I like the ideas, but don't care for the exacts. So I got this idea for a BLT pasta and here is what I did with it. (If you are a measurement, specific, instruction following type, just look up a version of this - there are sure to be plenty.)

First, I took about 6 slices of bacon


Cut and pan fried them. That is, of course, the 'B' in the dish.


Then we have our 'L' and our 'T'... The magazine recipe used leeks as it's L... but also included spinach. So I chose to go with just the spinach Leaves as my L. And grape tomatoes, halved, are our T. I also have onion, just a slice the size of an orange wedge, basil from the garden, and garlic. I love garlic and have no reason not to use it in excess.... for those of you still worried about your breath - you may want to lessen the amount (I used six cloves). You will also need about 1 cup of chicken stock.


Look at these tomatoes! I can't wait until I have fresh ones from my garden to use!


And we have our pasta. The recipe called for a pasta I had never heard of and, not surprisingly, that my grocery store did not carry. I opted for this noodle - my kids love it.


They're like noodle straws... fun! And they hold the sauce in really well.


So, to get to cooking. Cook your bacon and set it aside, removing most, but not all, of the bacon grease from the pan. Start your pasta cooking, this type takes a little longer than regular spaghetti. Chop the onion and toss it into the pan. After it has become clear, add the garlic and bacon back in. After about 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly so the garlic doesn't burn, add your tomatoes. Let them heat up just a bit and then add the liquid. Stir and let come to a simmer.


Once your pasta is done (to an al dente state) drain it. Surely this is obvious.... Then add your basil, chopped, and your spinach to the sauce.


Stir gently as the spinach wilts. Once all is incorporated the sauce will look very liquidy and you may think to yourself, 'There is nothing to thicken this up... what did I do wrong?' Don't worry! Just toss in your noodles. Fold it over itself a few times to mix it all up. Turn off the heat and let it sit for about 10 minutes, folding every few minutes. During this 10 minutes you can get the table ready, make some garlic bread, shave your legs, I don't care.... just let the noodles soak up the sauce....


And then.... and then.... here you have it:

BLT Pasta!
It was so yummy.
I loved it, the husband loved it, and the kids ate some....
which is all I can ask from picky little ones anyway.

I hope you make this for yourself and let me know if you do - and even more so if you have any improvements to add!

2 comments:

hellocayce said...

Put parmesean on top! That would be good too.

Mama Nae said...

I would also consider adding more spinach... i just threw in a handful - next time I will throw in three.