Tuesday, February 10, 2009

How Much Is That Baby?

Being such an anal person with money and numbers I've been meaning to budget for how much the baby cost us these days.... I finally got around to doing that and I thought I would share....

Main Expenses:
Formula
Diapers
Baby Food
Wipes
(Clothes and Toys were all presents or hand-me-downs)

Formula - $12/can (this is the generic formula from Target, brand name is double that)
A can will last us approximately 6 days. That is $2 a day for formula, $14/week
Diapers - $30/case (this is a 176 count case from Sams, size 4)
Each diaper comes out to roughly 18 cents. If baby uses an average of 6 diapers a day, that's $1.08/day and $7.56/week
Baby Food - $1.00/2pk stage 2 at Target. (Rice Cereal is around $3 a box and lists for weeks so I'm not counting that.) We use 2 baby foods a day, one fruit, one veggie. So that's about $1/day, $7/week.
Wipes - $9/case (this is a case of 6 72count packs) One pack last roughly a week, and this is with 2 kids. That's 22 cents/day, $1.50/week.

Grand Totals:
Each DAY my baby costs: $4.30
Each WEEK my baby costs: $30.10
Each MONTH my baby costs: $130.00

1 comment:

lucylucia said...

WOW! Thank goodness he's just a sweetie. Have you ever thought of making your own baby food? I've seen some blogs where the moms use a food processor to mix up the food. It sounds like a lot of work, but I'm pretty sure it's easy on the wallet!