Friday, April 17, 2009

Hosta Transplant Project

I have these big hostas in my front flower bed. Some of them are an okay size, the other just get way too large. They killed both of the plants beside them last summer. And they just hang way to far over the actual border of the bed - so my husband ends up mowing over their leaves. So I decided this spring to dig up the really large ones and move them to the back yard. I've been slowly but surely beautifying the way back part of our yard. Two years ago or more I build a wall and a bed around our big pecan tree. Then I had two kids and it sat. I trimmed the honey suckle tree and planted some tulips, pulled weeds and trimmed the ivy from the fencce - but not much else. So this is my summer to pretty up the back yard. I already started by planting the bed around the tree last weekend - red tulips, white dusty millers, and a white flowering sedum. It should all look really good once it grows in.

So anyway - to day I transplanted the hostas. Here is a picture of the two that I dug up from the front (with the help of the husband, a little).


Here is the smaller one, which is still rather large and the leaves haven't even uncurled yet!



Here's just another shot of the two before the splitting process began. I had hoped to get 6 plants out of the two I dug up in order to plant 3 on each side of the circular tree bed (mainly to hide the corner joints of the wall - cause I'm not exactly a professional wall builder).



Here's me, splitting the hosta with a long shovel. This was so much harder than I thought! Word to the wise - if you have good growing hostas, split them before 4 years of growth... Man do they get solid! I would say it took me about 2 hours (with Cayce's help at the end) to split the two plants up....



But, I got EIGHT plants out of those to giants! Actually, nine... but the ninth is only one leaf tooth, it fell off and I planted it anyway.
Here is a section after the split:



And here's me planting the newly split hostas



Job completed! Here is the view form the right side of the yard....


And here is the view from the left....


Another successful day in the yard.... This is free gardening at it's best. Kirk says I should start a show called Ghetto Gardening (cause I'm trying to do my yard as best I can on as little money possible!) Oh, he's funny! But he sure will be happy once the yard looks nice and the cost was small.

Well, I broke my hand shovel and I need a longer hose, so off to the Home Depot I go!

No comments: