Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tom-Ickles (or Pick-Ah-Toes)

Or Pickled Maters.
All names will work.

I have these super cute, teeny tiny, currant tomatoes in my garden.


Here they are in my hand, so you can see how small they really are... and isn't the way they ripen pretty? In a rainbow almost.


I had so many green ones on the plant, which seemed to be dying off, and I didn't want them to go to waste. So I looked up a recipe for pickled green cherry tomatoes.... supposedly they will taste like pickles. Here is the recipe that I roughly followed. First I gathered and washed all the green ones, and some yellow and orange ones, too.


Then packed them into the jars with some garlic, onion, a hot pepper, and pickling spices.


Then poured the brine (cider vinegar and kosher salt, boiling) into the jars to cover the tomatoes.


And here we have jars of pickled currant tomatoes.... They're now in the refrigerator for at least two weeks... I can't wait! I hope they don't taste horrible. I'm not sure what I will do with them other than eat them straight out of the jar... but who cares. It was fun to do.


They've been in for a week now - only one week to go before the tasting.... will let you know if they turned out okay.

No comments: