Sunday, January 30, 2011

Storms A Comin!

They say we will get blizzard like conditions for the next three days... like the blizzard of '82. Well, I didn't live here in St. Louis in 1982 - I lived in sunny Dallas, Tx. But I grew up hearing all my friends here talk about that 'one time it snowed so much' when they were kids... And how they tunneled to each others houses and built forts in the snow... the stories go on and on about the blizzard of '82....

So while I"m not convinced it's going to be that big of a deal, especially seeing it through adult eyes, I'm trying to prepare for it none the less. Making sure we have charged flashlights and batteries and I know where all my big candles are... They're predicting lots of power loss due to the ice build up. In 2006 we had an ice storm and we lost power for about three days. Nola was just born (about 3 mo old) and I was up at 4am feeding her when my neighbors giant old tree in their front yard cracked, fell, and took out our power. It was an eerie sound as the tree cracked, much louder than I thought it would be, even not knowing what it was at the time... and then five minutes later it crashed down, hit their house and took out all our power lines. I believe I screamed in the dark... I was in my living room and very close to where their tree stood.

There was also the aftermath of that ice storm... I remember standing on my front porch in the evening and looking out over the neighborhood covered in ice... and then it started sounding like a giant was walking towards me... the trees were just crashing to the ground off in the distance. My street is very quiet so the sounds were echoing up to where I stood and it sounded out of this world....

I've heard we had three feet in 82. And they are only predicting 10-12 right now... plus all the ice. So I'm not sure if they are just trying to scare us. But the weather reporter on the news last night said the words the national weather warning used were: crippling conditions. That can't be good, right?

So I will be stocking up on smokes, wine, batteries, salt, milk... and hoping for the best.
See you all after the thaw! ha ha!

No comments: