Thursday, May 6, 2010

Herb Garden 2010

Okay - Lucy - this is for you.

Last year I had my herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary, mint,basil, chives, patchouli) all in my veggie garden plot. This year I decided to remove them from the plot and place them elsewhere.

Some come back, some do not. My rosemary, basil and patchouli did not come back. They weren't supposed to. My thyme, mint, oregano and chives did. I moved the chives into a pot and will put it somewhere. I moved the oregano and thyme into the ground by the arbor, where the mint already was. They are doing great. I bought some boxwood basil (like regular basil in taste and use but shaped like a boxwood bush) and planted those with some flowers in the bed by the pave stone patio. I have seed for more chives and purple basil, which I haven't started yet. But it's never too late! I may start them this year or save the seeds for next year and just buy a few more plants at Hartke Nursery which is down the street from me or at our local Farmer's Market, which starts this weekend!

Lucy: Herbs are sold almost all Summer long and will last all Summer long and into the Fall. And all year round if indoors. Choose a few good, big pots and get some plants that are already established. With pots you will need to make sure the moisture levels are correct (they sell really cute little terracotta worms that will tell you when to water)... and if you don't bring them indoors in winter terracotta pots will freeze and crack. And you can plant your one herb in the center of a larger pot and surround it on the bottom with ground covers like elven thyme (my favorite non-useful herb, it looks like moss) or creeping jenny (my favorite ground cover and it comes back every year). I suggest you pick a theme color and buy pots of all sizes in that color and just plant away... I like red. Either way - if you ever want to try and get together to do this, let me know. I will try to free myself from the kids to go garden shopping with you!

I will also take some herby pictures once I have something worthwhile to shoot.... Good Luck Lucy!

1 comment:

lucylucia said...

Yay! I am t hinking about going to Lowe's and getting some herb pots. Would you suggest that I grow them "from scratch" or buy the seedlings at Whole Foods, I saw a bunch there last weekend!