Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Wonderful Speech

I stayed up way too late last night watching the outcome of the election... midnight! But Obama's speech was worth staying up for. Several times I had goose bumps or tears in my eyes... watching history is always worth being tired for the next day.
Every generation has their historical moments that they will always remember. Mine are when the Challenger space shuttle blew up (I was in grade school, we were watching it on TV), where I was on 9/11 (in my car on, the way to work, hearing it all on the radio and stopping in the middle of the highway like everyone else in shock), and voting for and watching the acceptance speech of the first black president of the United States of America.

Here are some excerpts of his speech that really got to me:

“It’s the answer that led those who’ve been told for so long by so many to be cynical and fearful and doubtful about what we can achieve to put their hands on the arc of history and bend it once more toward the hope of a better day. It’s been a long time coming, but tonight, because of what we did on this date in this election at this defining moment, change has come to America.

“And I would not be standing here tonight without the unyielding support of my best friend for the last 16 years, the rock of our family, the love of my life, the nation’s next first lady Michelle Obama. Sasha and Malia I love you both more than you can imagine. And you have earned the new puppy that’s coming with us to the new White House. And while she’s no longer with us, I know my grandmother’s watching, along with the family that made me who I am. I miss them tonight. I know that my debt to them is beyond measure. To my sister Maya, my sister Alma, all my other brothers and sisters, thank you so much for all the support that you’ve given me. I am grateful to them.

“There are mothers and fathers who will lie awake after the children fall asleep and wonder how they’ll make the mortgage or pay their doctors’ bills or save enough for their child’s college education. There’s new energy to harness, new jobs to be created, new schools to build, and threats to meet, alliances to repair. The road ahead will be long. Our climb will be steep. We may not get there in one year or even in one term. But, America, I have never been more hopeful than I am tonight that we will get there.

“And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote tonight, but I hear your voices. I need your help. And I will be your president, too.

“America, we have come so far. We have seen so much. But there is so much more to do. So tonight, let us ask ourselves — if our children should live to see the next century; if my daughters should be so lucky to live as long as Ann Nixon Cooper, what change will they see? What progress will we have made? This is our chance to answer that call. This is our moment.

“This is our time, to put our people back to work and open doors of opportunity for our kids; to restore prosperity and promote the cause of peace; to reclaim the American dream and reaffirm that fundamental truth, that, out of many, we are one; that while we breathe, we hope. And where we are met with cynicism and doubts and those who tell us that we can’t, we will respond with that timeless creed that sums up the spirit of a people:

Yes, we can.

~President Obama


If you didn't see it, you should read it or watch it if you can...

1 comment:

lucylucia said...

I watched it, honey. And I was crying right there along with you!