Sunday, July 4, 2010

Squish Squash!

I am beside myself with disappointment. The dreaded squash bugs are back. Last year they wiped out all my squash plants... I think I only got a few squash total. This year I was hoping to avoid them. I planted the fairy squash, which is supposed to be resistant to the evil squash bug. I also planted onions around my squash because I read that worked in keeping the SqBugs away. No such luck. They are here. And in abundance. They seriously make my skin crawl. They are so gross and creepy and they move so fast... thank goodness they don't fly - I would freak out! Just look at these nasty creatures! Told you!

I will give credit to the Fairy Squash - it does seem to be unaffected (so far). The summer squashes are not so lucky. I did however get a few. Here is my first, and probably only, EightBall squash along with a yellow crook-neck. I have a few more on the plants which I will probably harvest early to avoid them being eaten or killed.


I have been picking them early, like I said, so it isn't a huge one - but still a good size.


And here is the 8Ball - I think this is the appropriate size to pick it - this is the first year of growing these...


And one more shot of the happy couple before they go under the knife...


And here they are - ready to go into the frying pan with a little butter, EVOO, s&p....

They were absolutely delicioso! I think they taste even better when they are picked young... I really hope I get a few more before it's all said and done. I plan on having Kirk just dig out all the summer squash plants and pitching them due to the bastard bugs.... But I am keeping the hope alive for the winter squash (the fairy) - I have about 4-6 almost ready for picking...

(I will have a fireworks post tomorrow... we had lots of fun.)

1 comment:

hellocayce said...

No squash bugs here yet. I had sauteed 8 ball and 1 ball squash for lunch yesterday. I chopped up a tomato and put it in after I took it off the stove. That's good too.