Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Garden Planning

So I have almost finished planning my veggie garden for the spring... I'm so excited!

I have my seed catalogs ordered and my little notebook already busting with notes. I have a note card size box that I got last year and saves clippings of what I may want to plant, flowers and food. I have seeds that I saved from last years plants in there too.
I ordered free catalogs from:
Burpee
The Cook's Garden
Sow True Seeds
Tomato Growers and
Territorial Seed Co.

I plan to choose my plant varieties once I get all my catalogs. I am going to try and order only organic seeds... but I have a feeling I might fall for a tempting colorful hybrid or two. Then once I get my seeds I will start planting them indoors.
(By the way: if anyone local and friendly wants to plant a garden this year I will most likely have extra seedlings. I will plant twice as many as I need to ensure good starters, but I will probably not use them all. Just let me know. I will post again once I figure out what exactly I will be planting this year.)
I think I will set up a side table in my bedroom by the window and hope that it stays mostly left alone by the kids. They will of course be involved in the seed planting... but until they grow to garden size and we aren't frozen indoors I hope they leave them alone. ha ha, right!

I know I want to build/construct some sort of bean/pea trellis this year and put it outside my existing garden plot. So that will free up some space I didn't have last year. And then I want to extend the garden plot area by a few feet at least. And I do plan to use all my empty pots this year to grow more things... I really want to grow enough for us to eat during the summer months and some to save and freeze for the winter months.

Here is my rough draft of what I want to grow this year:
Green Beans, one green, one purple
Peas, green and black-eyed
Tomatoes, regular, two varieties
Tomatoes, cherry, 5 varieties (colors)
Okra, one green, one red
Peppers, bell
Peppers, two hot
Leeks
Garlic
Squash, two varieties
Zuchinni
Onions, to keep the squash bugs away mostly
Cilantro, for Salsa Baby!
Basil, for pesto
Misc Herbs in pots

Oh Spring!
Where are you my Old Friend!?
Hurry Back... You are Missed!

3 comments:

lucylucia said...

Ugh. Now I want to do a whole garden!! Hey maybe if I buy a house I could do that too!!

Well, regardless wherever we go - you are helping me with an herb garden fo sho.

lucylucia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mama Nae said...

You can always do container gardening! There are so many varieties of things made just for that these days.... But do you even like any veggies?