Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Seeds!

I have all my seeds in my pretty little hands! I've been waiting for them to come in the mail and THEY ARE HERE! YEA! Now... I have to restrain myself from planting them. I think mid to late February would be an ideal time. Then they will have 8-12 weeks of growing indoors before moving on outside. That will give me March and April to prepare my garden areas.

I have an old side table, now living in the basement, that I want to set up in my bed room by the window for my new babies. It will be the same sun they get in the backyard (minus the roof coverage). I'm going to use cardboard egg cartons for the seedlings. But my main fear is that one of my little monsters will knock the whole set up over and not only upset my plants, but get dirt all in my carpet. Soooo.... I have an empty, clear, plastic, storage container. I'm thinking about just putting the whole thing up on the table, putting the egg cartons at the bottom and seeing what happens. The fact that they're in a bucket of sorts will allow me to water them more freely. The plastic walls will hold in more heat and deter tiny hands from poking in the dirt. I might even try to Velcro it to the table to prevent accidental tippage.

I will admit that I was slightly disappointed by the packaging of my new seeds. When you buy them in garden stores they are bright and shiny with full color photos. I guess you also pay for those photos... but my seeds came in rather boring , monotone packets. Mainly just descriptions and planting instructions.

Since I have to wait so long to DO ANYTHING with them I was looking forward to just holding them in my hands and imagining my garden-to-be. I suppose I can do that anyway... It's just more fun to have full color photos to help along the old imagination.

I will just put my seed packets away in my seed box.

I will wait. I will try to have patience. It will be hard....

No comments: