Friday, May 23, 2008

Sorry, Weirdo!

I was at the grocery store with Nola and we just needed a few things... I'm pregnant you see, so we needed chips, cheese, ice cream, sunflower seeds, and a few other non-essentials like baby wipes and juice. So in the chip isle I was pacing back and forth trying to best judge my future taste buds. I had a big night ahead of me (Grey's Anatomy 2 hour Season Finale, which was SUPER FABULOUS by the way).

I heard a creepy voice say, "Hey Little Cutie." Once I figured out he wasn't talking to me (oh - just kidding!)... I turned around to see this really creepy looking guy talking to Nola. He was older, maybe 60's, and had REALLY thick glasses on that were falling off the end of his nose. He was round. You know the type... like a woman really, but round right in the middle like the blueberry girl from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I've always thought that was an odd body type for a man - where do they buy their pants? Anyway - his hair was messy and slicked down at the same time and his voice was high and raspy.... Pretty much all around creepy.

"Hey, blue eyes! What a cutie you are!" getting closer and closer. Obviously I abandoned my quest for the perfect chip to come between this man and my daughter - who by the way, looked like a deer in headlights.

"Can you say 'Hi'?" I asked her this obligatory question as if I thought for one second she would speak to this man.... she NEVER talks to strangers, or even our neighbors for that matter.

"Nope, I guess not" I said to him as he stood there waiting for his 'hello'. And he just stood there.... Nola looking from him to me, him looking at her only, and me just wondering what the hell he was doing. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't scared, nor did I feel we were in any danger at all.... he was probably a lonely old man who has never molested anyone in his life.... but you never know.

So then I said what I guess offended him, "She'll probably talk to you as soon as you walk away."
He looked at me like I slapped him in the face and he just looked down and walked away down the isle, pushing his cart. I meant that she says 'hi' and 'bye' to strangers as soon as they walk away... I guess he thought I was telling him to 'Walk Away, Jerk!' I felt really bad all of a sudden....

Then Nola said, "Hi, Man." I called after him and said, "See, as soon as you walked away... she does it every time..." Nothing. He didn't look back, didn't say anything... just kept walking away.

Well, SORRY! (you WEIRDO!)

No comments: