Thursday, June 19, 2008

1st Lookie-Loos

So it was 8:40 pm last night and my doorbell rang. I was home alone because Kirk works mostly nights... and it was after 7:30 (which is the cutoff time for prospective home buyers to look at the house) so I thought I was safe. I was wearing lovely gray maternity, Capri, workout type pants that have a big red and white stripe down the side (yeah - they're hot!). And a grey T-shirt (different grey than the pants of course) from Old Navy, circa 1998. The one with the old blue truck on it for those of you who know your vintage Old Navy. OH! and no bra, no shoes. I was wearing my glasses and my ponytail was a mess.... Hey, I thought I was safe for the night.

So I had the option of opening the door or letting whoever it was ring the bell again and take the chance of waking up the baby.... So I chose to see who it was. I opened the peep hole and it was a man about 35. His minivan was on the street and there was a someone in it. I quickly thought, "Oh, it's a minivan, he's a married, dad-type guy, no harm." Didn't think until later that almost all kidnappers, rapists and murders probably own and drive a van for it's convenient criminal aspects.... oops, silly me. I opened the door, trying to cross my arms over my chest.

"Hey - we were driving by and noticed your house was for sale... I was wondering if we could look in your backyard?"

"Ummm... (pause, I was weighing the options here)... yeah, if you just want to look out back... you can go around the driveway....."

"Yeah - I mean, I don't want to come in or anything!" Like I was accusing him of something obscene.

"OK - well, have a look. The back yard is really great." and I'm closing the door as he's waving who I assume is his wife out of the van. She looks a little embarrassed. I waved to her as she shrugged her shoulders.

Then the man turns around and says, "One of the only things you like about the place, huh?" he said accusingly, referring to the backyard....

"What? No, we like the whole house...." Whatever. I just closed the door. And then locked the door. And then hurried to the back of the house to lock the backdoor as well.... They were gone within 5 min.

I hope this isn't the beginning of what's to come with house lookers.

No comments: