Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Hospital Day for Mama Nae & Papa K

Well - it seems we will both be spending time in a hospital today.

I went this morning for my regular bi-weekly maternity check-up. Everything is A-OK with me and baby Logan. My OB said he is measuring perfectly, right on track... I asked if she was sure he wasn't already a toddler... she said no. I also asked if I would have to have an IV in while in labor (which I do NOT want so I can have more freedom and mobility, not to mention not so quick decisions made for me on the spur of the moment). At first she said yes because I had Group B Strep with Nola (which requires 2 IV doses of antibiotics during labor to ensure the health of the baby) and with subsequent children they treat you for this whether you have it or not... in other words, I won't even be tested for it this time, just treated. But then I told her I didn't want to have to carry the IV pole thing around with me and couldn't they give it to me in another form? (Which I have seen done on TV, Thank you very much Discovery Health Channel.) She said no... hummmm... is she lying?
But she did say that I can get whats called a Hep Lock (sp?). Which is basically an IV starter... It's in my vein but not connected to anything until they need it. That way I can get hooked up for the antibiotics, and then I'm also ready to take whatever else I may need if the case arises. I'm cool with that. So all in all, a good visit to the hospital for me.

So.... while I was gone my wonderfully behaved daughter stuck her finger directly into Kirk's eye. Nola the Destroyer strikes again! I called on my way home and he sounded like he was in tears... I found out later it was just because of the continuous watering of his eye that his nose was running as well. He was in serious pain. On the phone I laughed it off and told him he really needed to learn how to defend himself against toddlers... come on now, he's a grown ass man! But when I got home and saw his eye I realized she must have really gotten him good.
He was so cranky and mad and hostile the rest of the day... like I did it or something. I kept Nola away from him as much as I could... she wasn't his favorite person either. I asked him if he was going to call a doctor.... NO! I have to go to work! And then it dawned on me why he was so mad... NOT because he was hurt or in pain or at either of us... but because he might miss a brief moment of work. I have NEVER met someone in my whole life who dedicates himself to his job the way my husband does. I think he really thinks that it would burn to the ground if he called in. He feels like he has no option - he's scheduled to go in - he MUST BE THERE! OR ELSE!

Well - I told him he needed to call or go see a DR. He wouldn't listen. So I looked it up on WebMD and it said in almost every eye case that you should seek medical attention immediately... so then he listened and asked me to call his Dr. and an Opthamologist. They both said to go to the ER.... So he is there now... waiting, missing work - hee hee hee..... I know it's killing him and for some reason that makes me giggle! I just feel he needs to learn a lesson that life is NOT work and work is NOT your life. He called and is in a much better mood.

This is what I said to him right before we got off the phone, which he agreed with and made him laugh, "I would rather you miss an entire day of work, or even loose your job all together, than loose your eyesight. You can ALWAYS get another job, you can't get another eyeball.... And you have such pertty eyes!"


Update: he has a scratched cornea! Pretty dramatic for a kid's finger in your eye!

No comments: