Saturday, July 5, 2008

It's Official! I'm OLD!

Well, yesterday was the Fourth of July! Independence Day. I celebrated an Independence of my own. I think I am now totally free and independent of any youth I may have had left!

First of all, I didn't do anything at all to celebrate the holiday. I put Nola to bed by 8 (her normal time) and just hoped that she would sleep through the fireworks that were to start around nine. She woke up around 10pm. Which is fine, there were lots of pops and booms and cracks near our home.... I held her a while and we talked about how the fireworks had to make loud noises so they could make pretty colors in the sky. She looked at them but didn't care, she was sleepy. So off to be she went around 10:30 with instructions to tell any future fireworks, "Boo!" and "Shhh - Quiet!" She went right to sleep. So did I.

Around 11:45 I woke up because it sounded like my house was under attack. There are 2 houses down the street from me that are rentals... I have no idea who lives in which one, but there are a lot of kids over there all the time. Between the ages of 16 and 25... I have no idea - they're younger than me. They were setting off any and all kinds of fireworks you can buy. And it was continuous. I waited until about midnight and then looked up our local Police Department's phone number. Nola had woken up twice, not calling out for me, just waking up and then going back to bed... and Logan (the unborn one) was freaking out! He was jerking and turning and kicking... all because of the noise. So I called the Police. They said they would send over a car - and they did - and the noise mostly stopped.

So that's it! I'm old. I called the cops on some kids for being too loud past midnight! Oh my goodness! And while, on the one hand, it feels really crappy to be the tattle tale... on the other hand I feel like "Ha! You little assholes - be quiet!" Either way - I'm officially old.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

now you have to buy naturalizer shoes and get bifocals. sigh, bring on the muscle rubs...