Thursday, October 30, 2008

I hate the DMV

I had to renew my drivers license today so I could vote next week. My license still had my old address on it from 4 years ago as well as my maiden name from over 3 years ago... I have a year to renew it but I wasn't sure they would let me vote with all my info being incorrect.

So anyway, I went up to the DMV today, no kids, the husband watched them. It's the very small local branch and never busy. The room is divide by a single row of chairs, one side was labeled Drivers License and the other everything else. But everyone was in one line and the only 2 people working were on the 'everything else' side. So in line I got. I was about 4 people back, not too bad. As people came in they all got into the one line, which I was glad of since technically I needed to be on the other side, on which there was no working employee. Then the woman 2 ahead of me needed a drivers license renewal and the young blonde girl walked her over to the other side... Good, I was doing it the right way. Then another girl came into the building and walked over to the driver's license side... surely the clerk would correct this when the time came. She finished and there was one person in front of me. She said, "Next person in line please," and looked towards the line and not at the girl waiting (only person there NOT in line). But the girl stepped up anyway and the man in front of me said nothing... So I said, not too loudly, "She wasn't next..." No one cared.

The blonde clerk finished with the girl and then walked back over to the 'everything else' side to ask for the next in line, which was still the man in front of me. As he went up, the other clerk finished his customer and called for me. Finally! So I walk up and announce that I need my license renewed and he tells me I have to be on the other side! What! I told him that everyone had been in the same line... He was nice but explained to me that he couldn't leave the computer he was on and I'd have to wait for the blonde girl to finish and to go wait in the chairs... I hate the DMV!

So I go to sit in the chairs and wait for her to finish - and she makes no effort at all to acknowlegde me and my wait. And before she finishes up and big ole loud (on her cell phone) mean looking woman walks in and right up to the license counter. Surely, SURELY, this time the clerk girl will call on me first. NO! She walks over after her customer leaves and the woman just starts in before she even gets behind the counter... "I lost my license! I need you to just look something up for me! I don't have my this or that but you can just pull it up!" The girl just started helping her! FUCK! I don't think me or the clerk wanted to even try to correct this situation - but it's her job! She didn't. So I waited. For about 10 min. But I stood up right behind the woman so that no one else could get in line in front of me..... did I mention that I HATE the DMV?

Ok - so it's my turn. I tell her what I need, give her all my paper work, she starts to process my license... and her damn cell phone rings. It was loud, it was dance music, and it echoed throughout the whole building! And she answered it! Are there not rules in the work place? Do people have no manners anymore? Do I sound 75? Shit - she talked the whole time she was going through computer screens and inputing my information. I saw she was doing things wrong and didn't have my name correct but I just let her talk on the phone and didn't correct her. By the way, she's been married for a year, has a 2 month old, and is in trouble at her other job for being absent (but it shouldn't count because she was pregnant and had a doctors note). So when she finally got off the phone and told me she was finsihed I informed her that she had my name wrong and needed to correct it... She fussed like I should have told her before, and commented on how she would have to go back in and change it.... I said very politely, "I didn't want to interrupt your phone conversation." She shot me a look and told me to go stand in front of the blue screen for my picture.

Then the bitch didn't even give me a chance to fix my hair or smile or attempt to take a good picture, she just said, "Ok... there you go. It will be a few minutes, have a seat."

Luckly it turned out not so bad. But the moral of my story is that I HATE THE DMV!

2 comments:

hellocayce said...

I know the girl you are talking about. I dealt with her not too long ago. When I was there with Allyson she was a total cuss-bucket. I don't mind cussing; I love it, but not at work in front of a stranger's child!

Mama Nae said...

Just in email right!