Sunday, October 19, 2008

Off The Hook!

I've started crocheting again... the little one is 2 months old and starting to sleep through the night, therefor I am no longer a walking zombie who needs a nap everyday. I'm just not into stressing out about a not-so-clean house... so I have a free nap time and a free couple of hours to claim back as my own (after 8pm if I so choose to stay awake). And I've been feeling that nagging need to be crafty! It's Fall and the weather is getting cooler... cold actually... and what better hobby than one that keeps your lap warm while you work on it! So Blankets it is! Have Hook - Will Crochet!

I have been planning on making my brother and sister in law a baby blanket for my upcoming niece (in January) but I've been a super-slacker... well, I did have a baby. But I really lucked out. I found a blanket I had already started and already had plenty of yarn to finish! So now I'm working on that blanket. They found out they are having a girl but it's only about a 75% chance... I'm secretly (well openly) hoping she will pop out with boy parts! So green it is! I will probably put a pink border on it... and replace it with blue is she is really a he.

So here it is so far:
Blanket #1: Baby Gem

They are making fun of us for naming Logan after an X-man (Wolverine, aka Logan) and saying that they are naming their daughter-to-be after Gem and the Holograms....

I have also been inspired by a blanket on The Purl Bee blog - the Babbette Blanket. I want to do my own version... basically it's a bunch of granny squares in different sizes and colors put together to make a crazy-quilt type blanket... ala coat of many colors.... check out the right hand side of the Purl Bee blog under crochet projects if you wanna see some. Link over from my Blogs I Like section....

Here is my color pallet for this blanket. I think I will be using the blues and purples inside the squares and outlining and connecting them all in black. My vision is for it to look like stars...


And here are a few squares that I've started with all the balls of yarn again... The two on the right will not be included in the blanket... They were practice squares just to get back into the feel of granny squaring again... and they aren't right anyway. The one on the left is my first completed square.


And here is a close up of the very first square in
Blanket #2: Starry Night


I'm not too sure what I'm going to do with this blanket... I may put it up for sale on Etsy or something if it turns out good enough....

By the way - if anyone wants to commision a lovely crocheted blanket, scarf, hat, etc... let me know! I'm open for business and could use a part time job!

No comments: